Environmental Ethics, in my opinion, has been becoming more of a meaningful idea that has changed and is changing the world. Environmental ethics is defined as, "the discipline in philosophy that studies the moral relationship of human beings to, and also the value and moral status of, the environment and its non-human contents". That was taken from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. From reading this definition, it was easier for me to relate this to the meaningful worldly changes that are occurring. I think that these ethical ideas do have a meaningful difference in the world. Especially in the last few decades, there has been a lot of environmental activism. These upbringings are mostly because of the research done in regards to Climate Change. Climate change has been an increasingly alarming problem that is a direct and indirect result of human causes. Many different organizations such as the Nature Conservancy and the World Resource Institute all promote good environmental ethics and morals. This problem has also made a sense of togetherness for the world in the regard of environmental ethics too. There is a new global responsibility to help lean towards a more sustainable and an eco-friendly place. Most countries around the world now have environmental policy and government agencies instated to achieve this goal. I mentioned how this has been more prevalent in recent decades. I say this because going back to the Industrial Revolution in America, roughly 1800 - 1890, many environmental ethics that we see and hear today were absent. Dumping factory waste into rivers was a common practice and without government regulation, it became a rampant problem. From this knowledge, I believe that environmental ethics does have a meaningful change for the world but only has become popular in recent years.
I do agree that environmental ethics might one day make a difference in the world, but I disagree in that it has not done enough yet to make a change. In my blog post, I mentioned factors like political divisions and lack of education are some of the reasons why environmental ethics still can't create change. But, maybe some day we will see a difference.
ReplyDelete