When first looking at the question "Are non-human animals persons?" it seems crazy and absurd. At first thought, I was thinking that of course non-human animals are not persons. But I think that this question could be argued. In Peter Singer's essay "All Animals Are Equal", he discusses how we should give the same right to other non-human animals as we have been doing more so to other humans. One might say in this argument that animals aren't able to reason and understand things like us so they shouldn't be equal. As a valid point, I had this same thought however Singer addresses this. He explains how equality does not require equal rights. This means that just because a dog is not seen as equal to a human, doesn't mean that don't deserve equal rights. After reading his essay, I understand more of the initial question asked. It is not a question asking if humans and other animals are equal, but rather asking if we all, all living things, deserve equal rights as to protection, safety and good health. I believe that non-human animals are "Persons" and deserve to have equal rights and the right for basic needs relevant to their cause.

No comments:
Post a Comment